Assistance Towing

Amendments to U.S. law in 1987 require that anyone who engaged in towing a disabled vessel for payment ("assistance towing") would have to meet minimum standards for knowledge and experience.

If you want to offer assistance towing while holding a license as a Uninspected Passenger Vessel Operator or Master/Mate for inspected vessels under 200 gross tons, you will have to get a special "endorsement" on your license. You will have to pass a special exam, but no additional or special service is required to qualify for the endorsement.

Persons holding licenses as Uninspected Towing Vessel Operator or Master/Mate on inspected vessels over 200 gross tons may engage in assistance towing under the authority of their license without any additional exam or service.

Deck Licenses | Engineer Licenses | MODU Licenses

Order by Phone